Collection: Downingtown, PA

Downingtown, Pennsylvania, was originally known as Milltown due to its numerous mills along the East Branch Brandywine Creek. The first of these was established in 1716 by Thomas Moore. In 1761, John Downing opened a tavern on the east side of the creek, which led to the village being named Downingtown in 1812. The borough was officially incorporated in 1859. Notable historic sites include the Downingtown Log House (circa 1700) and the Roger Hunt Mill (built in 1759). The borough is also part of the East Lancaster Avenue Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places.